Licorice root is an excellent ingredient for the skin. This root is simply fantabulous and in use for centuries to treat inflammation and various conditions related to skin. It is so brilliant and functional that you will not worry about acne, psoriasis, and other ailments related to the skin.
Also, it contains a compound called glycyrrhizin with antimicrobial properties that help kill off harmful bacteria. It can even beat the effects of staphylococcal infections or acne pimples. Let’s look into the wonderful benefits of using Licorice.
Benefits of Using Licorice
Licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra) has been used for medicinal purposes for centuries in traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine.
Some potential benefits of using licorice include:
- Productivity: Licorice helps with mental focus and keeps you on task. It’s also linked to increased brain activity and improved memory, which could make you more productive at work.
- Cellulite reduction: Licorice helps reduce the appearance of cellulite by reducing inflammation in the body, which reduces fat storage around the abdominal area.
- Fat loss: It also contains compounds that may help reduce hunger cravings, so you’ll be less likely to overeat when taking licorice supplements!
- Prevents scarring: Licorice root contains glycyrrhizin, which helps prevent scarring by reducing inflammation in your body. It also has dithranol, which helps repair damaged tissue by reducing inflammation and stimulating collagen growth, two things that help prevent scars from forming on your face or body.
- Soothing digestive issues: Licorice can help relieve symptoms of stomach discomfort, such as indigestion and acid reflux.
- Reducing inflammation: Eczema and psoriasis penetrate the skin in a bad way and this eventually causes a junk of inflammation and rashes on the outside of the skin. The constant use of mentioned roots will get you ready to fight inflammation like a pro.
- Easing respiratory issues: The varying weather has a potential role to play in causing respiratory issues and almost everyone gets in the midst of sore throat or thyroid troubles. Licorice comes to ease in this situation.
- Anti-viral properties: Licorice root has been found to have antiviral properties that may help reduce symptoms of viral infections like cold sores, flu, and herpes. Sometimes if you align licorice with cloves then the benefits will be doubled.
Who Can Use Licorice Root For Skin Benefits?
Licorice can be used by those who want a healthier, more youthful-looking complexion. However, it is also beneficial for irritated skin. The licorice root has a soothing effect that heals the pores. The skin will no longer react severely to ointments, make-up products, or changing weather.
Also, people with mature skin, dry skin, acne-prone skin, and who want to prevent aging signs can use it. You can use licorice roots to remedy redness, eczema, and dermatitis. Moreover, you can turn it into a mask by adding aloe vera gel. The root will offer visible results.
Lastly, do not use licorice root if you suffer from heart problems. Stay away from the herb if you were recently diagnosed with hormone-related cancers. It is unadvised for women with bran, uterine, ovarian, and prostate cancer. Contact a healthcare professional immediately if the licorice root is affecting your hormones.
What Skincare Ingredients Can You Combine Licorice With?
Licorice root extract can be combined with various skincare ingredients for added benefits. Some commonly used ingredients that can be paired with licorice include:
- Vitamin C: Licorice and vitamin C can work together to brighten and even out skin tone.
- Niacinamide: Licorice and niacinamide can work together to improve the appearance of dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Hyaluronic acid: Licorice and hyaluronic acid can help hydrate and plump the skin.
- Retinol: Licorice and retinol can help improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Salicylic acid: Licorice and salicylic acid can help unclog pores and reduce the appearance of acne.
It is important to note that not all ingredients will be suitable for all skin types, so it is important to patch test, and use products under the guidance of a skincare professional.
How to Choose the Best Licorice Products?
Licorice root is a great addition to your skincare routine, but how do you know which licorice products are the best?
First of all, it’s important to remember that licorice root is an herb, not a medication. It has no side effects and no dangerous interactions with other medicines. Licorice root can also be used if you’re looking for a natural alternative to over-the-counter anti-inflammatory creams or pain relievers like ibuprofen.
Look for products that are made with real licorice root. This gives them anti-inflammatory properties, so look for the word “real” anywhere on the label!
Check out their ingredients list; if it doesn’t have added chemicals (like parabens), you’re good to go! But if any additives are hiding under that “real” label, don’t use them—they’ll end up clogging your pores and making things worse.
When in doubt, stick with plain old black licorice root tea bags! They’re super easy to use, and they taste great too!
How to Add Licorice to My Skincare Routine?
You can add Licorice to your skincare routine in three ways:
1) Add licorice extract to your skincare products (such as lotions and creams). This is a safe and effective way to use this ingredient.
2) You can add licorice powder or granules into the water and drink it as tea. This will give you the benefits of licorice root without any side effects.
3) You can eat whole licorice root pieces or fresh licorice root (for example, in cookies). This is not recommended for long-term use because it is difficult to digest and may cause stomach problems if you don’t have enough stomach acid production.
In the morning, you can use licorice root as a face mask. Mash the root with a little water and apply it to your skin. You’ll want to leave it on for about 20 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
To use it at night, mix two teaspoons of licorice root powder with one cup of water in a bowl. Stir until the powder dissolves. Apply this mixture as a mask over your entire face and neck, leaving it on for 20 minutes before washing it off with warm water. Don’t wash your face too often when using this mask—rinse off any excess water and dry your skin afterward!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is licorice root good for your skin?
The answer is yes! Licorice root contains a compound called glycyrrhizin, which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
The active ingredient in licorice root is believed to help prevent UV damage and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
How is licorice root used?
Licorice root can be consumed in the form of tea, capsules, tablets, or extract. It can also be applied topically in the form of creams or ointments.
Are there any side effects of licorice root?
Consuming large amounts of licorice root can cause side effects such as high blood pressure, muscle weakness, and headaches. Long-term use can also lead to electrolyte imbalances. It is also not safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
Can licorice root interact with medications?
Yes, licorice root can interact with certain medications such as diuretics, corticosteroids, and blood pressure medications.
Consult with your healthcare provider before taking licorice root if you are taking any medications.