Traditionally and historically, bitter melon is used to cure various health issues.
Maybe rightfully so! Its bitterness taste not less than a medicine. But, since its profile is packed with too many health benefits like controlling blood sugar levels, lowering cholesterol, weight management, and maintaining heart health, we can surely ignore its strong, bitter taste.
Let’s dive into it and see whether it is actually beneficial for us or just a myth.
Nutritional Value of Bitter Melon:
A somewhat weird vegetable that resembles zucchini or cucumber is packed with minerals and nutrition you might not get from other sources.
Primarily, it contains,
- Vitamin A.
- Vitamin C.
Bitter melon provides many benefits, from wound healing properties to the developmental growth of the fetus and curing diseases like heart issues, cancer, and other chronic conditions.
Bitter Melon Tea: Benefits and Side Effects Discussed
Weigh out the benefits and side effects yourself and decide if you can incorporate bitter melon tea into your regular diet.
Top Benefits of Bitter Melon Tea:
The following are the top reasons why you should consume this weird vegetable.
1. Manage Blood Sugar Levels
It has high fibers and a good amount of Polypeptide-p, which helps in controlling diabetes as it is an insulin-like compound. According to some studies, bitter melon does this by enhancing the levels of glucose, promoting better utilization of sugar in the body, and reducing elevated blood sugar levels. Others suggest that since it is high in fiber, it slows down the absorption process. As a result, blood sugar levels do not spike instantly.
2. Prevent Iron-Deficiency Anemia
Bitter melon is rich in iron and folate or vitamin B9, which are responsible for fulfilling the need for iron in blood. And hence prevent “iron deficiency anemia.” It is a condition characterized by low energy levels, shortness of breath, pale skin, and pain in the entire body. Plus, it can even help in preventing cancer development in the body.
4. Helps in Weight-loss
Since it is high in fiber and low in calories, you can safely consume it for weight loss purposes. The fiber of bitter melon absorbs slowly. Hence, it keeps you full for a longer time and reduces appetite. Just like you might consider drinking green tea for weight loss, you can swipe it with bitter melon tea on some days. Moreover, it also helps in curing constipation issues as it has increased water content.
Top Side Effects of Bitter Melon Tea:
If you are taking an uncontrollable amount of bitter gourd tea or have any health condition, the tea could backfire. Be cautious about the side effects it can cause.
- If you are taking bitter melon in the form of tea or juice for many days, it can cause diarrhea, abdominal pain, or indigestion.
- Pregnant women must take bitter gourd (in any form) in only the recommended dose and not more than that. Only limited studies and research have been done on the adverse effects on human embryos, and their conclusions are not positive.
- It can cause kidney issues in extreme cases, but these are rare cases.
- Bitter melon supplements must be consumed with caution as they can cause serious health damage in the long term.
- Consult the doctor if you are already taking diabetes medicines because it lowers blood sugar levels.
How to Make Bitter Melon Tea?
There are several ways to make bitter gourd tea at home that can get you snatched waist. You can use dried or fresh bitter gourd or leaves for making the tea.
Here are the easy-to-follow steps:
- Bring the water to boil for 10 minutes.
- Add dried or fresh slices of bitter melon in water and simmer for a few minutes.
- You can use leaves as well.
- Stir the slices for a few minutes to extract all the nutrients.
- Filter the tea into the serving cups.
- Add honey or agave syrup to give it some taste.
You can follow these tips for some variation in the bitter gourd tea.
- Squeeze some fresh lemon juice into the tea for a flavor twist.
- You can also use green tea to make it even more effective.
It is entirely up to your medical condition, challenges, and health goals you want to achieve. Always take advice from your doctor before taking any supplements or special tea if you have any serious medical issues.
And always follow the golden rule of thumb in consuming everything, that is, keep them in moderation. Excessive consumption of even the most beneficial fruits and veggies can hurt you.